Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bordeaux 2002 Chateau Desmirail tasting notes.

After decanting, this wine reveals itself as a pomegranate color with orange hues. The wine leaves some shades of brightness, though most of the color is intense. It is fairly viscous leaving slow even tears on the side of the glass.

The first scent makes me imagine myself sitting in the glass under a forest canopy after a rainfall. It’s a really beautiful, mushroomy fairly intense smell, which opens the door to its further complexities. The scents indicate that I might be in for a treat, that it might be the scent of a fine wine with aromas of deep black cherries, a hint of green pepper, and a finish of vanilla, followed by discreet suggestion of black pepper spiciness.

On the palate it is dry, fairly warm in its alcohol content and is smooth and silky in the mouth. The acidity is still fairly refreshing. It has soft tannins, and is slightly more minerally than acidic. It is medium-bodied, but only lingers a short time on the palate therefore only fairly intense but and fairly well-balanced. Overall this wine is good but not spectacular...I expected it to deliver a bit more from the wonderful scents in my glass; it was not unpleasant, but I found it disappointing in its length once swallowed and on the impact delivered. It is ready to drink, and perhaps will remain that way for years to come, but I have doubts as to whether it will improve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy you have a talent for this kind of stuff. The traveling recipe book concept has appeal done with humour and a bit of a yarn. Appreciate the recipe thrown in - and one that promises good times ahead. I have tried the golden nectar so I am biased - but it is even better than you say. Roll on lemon season."
Steve