Monday, May 24, 2010

Dinner tonight.


I was really hungry when I went grocery shopping tonight, and as a result, I became inspired.

I made two appetizers...a caprese salad with fresh Mozzarella di Bufala and sweet tomatoes with a drizzle of Extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. A little sprinkle of salt.



The next amuse-gueule was deep fried zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella di Bufala. I got the recipe off of the following Italian site, but I left out the anchovies:
http://www.gustissimo.it/ricette/antipasti-verdure/fiori-di-zucca-alla-mozzarella.htmstissimo.it/ricette/antipasti-verdure/fiori-di-zucca-alla-mozzarella.htm


The main course was pappardelle ai funghi from the following site:
http://www.lospicchiodaglio.it/index.php?sez=ricette&azione=scheda&elemento=323



We drank Terredora 2008 Greco di Tufo, Terre degli Angeli, DOCG. It is made with 100% Greco grapes. It was bright golden in colour, with a good consistency/viscosity in the glass testifying to its 13,5% alcohol. The aromas were intense of fresh fruit: apple,citrus, followed by spring flowers and a little bit of fresh grassiness. I could taste the same fruitiness as I took my first sip. It was smooth but well-balanced with a nice acidity and minerality that was somewhat persistent. This wine held up well against the mushrooms, and neither overpowered the other. I thought it also went well with the zucchini flowers. This is a winery that is consistently scoring in the 90's, and they are a great ambassador of Campania wines. Here is their English website:
Some of my best meals are a result of being hungry in the grocery store. My head spins with my favorite meals, and my eyes dart around for the ingredients.

1 comment:

Deep Red Cellar said...

I love Terredora wines - I agree...consistently good. The recipes sound great - will check out the included websites - thanks!